Monday, September 6, 2010

Seeing Through Water


As we look for anchorage at the end of every day, it is my job to position myself at the bow of the boat (this is where Kate Winslet stands with her eyes closed and arms outstretched with Leonardo di Caprio behind her in the movie Titanic) and watch out for shallows we might hit. Although we diligently consult the nautical charts and plot which areas we should avoid, I still need to visually watch out for reefs or coral heads when approaching shallow waters for anchorage while Raul is manning the helm at the back of the boat. It is a task I dread because it is not easy and the implications are enormous. If I don’t do my job well, the boat will hit bottom. At these moments, the burden of responsibility of keeping our boat safe is on me, the boat we bought with our life (and future) savings. This would be relatively easy though on bright sunny days with clear waters and a good pair of polarized shades.


I bought the shades I am using now from a Mango sale- because it was ridiculously discounted, fashionable and I know I will look good in them in pictures. I did not have “seeing through water” as a pre-prequisite for my purchase. The truth is, I stopped buying expensive quality shades many years ago because I either break them (they don’t survive spectacular catapaults while windsurfing and hobie-sailing) or unintentionally donate them to the sea. So I’ve taken to buying cheap imitations which I can break and lose anytime without feeling bad.

This is a choice I now regret. As I perch myself on the bow at the end of every day, with my heart in my throat, my husband expects me to be able to see through water and shout out if we should continue straight, left, right or back up. But it is far from easy and often times I wonder if, indeed, feasible, as we usually do this at the end of the day when light is fading and you can’t see corals until you’re just about to hit them, or we are facing the sun and the glare makes it impossible to see anything, or you are approaching a drop off where it can rise from 80 feet depth to 20 feet in seconds. It is a tense moment for me while I curse myself for not having good shades.

So what do I do? I pretend- I stand there with my back straight, eyebrows furrowed, fully concentrated on the water ahead, truthfully more for show than anything, if only to show Raul that I am doing my job when in reality all I see is blue water or the reflection of the sun on the water.

I will buy the best polarized shades when I get back to Manila. I don’t care what the price is.

9 comments:

Marivic said...

Ichay, how wonderful this blog is--please keep it going. Your pictures are just too beautiful to remain small. Why don't you make them bigger? Good luck with your blogging life and look forward to reading more of your adventures! Marivic

Unknown said...

Thanks, Marivic! This is very new so suggestions are very welcome. I already made the pictures bigger.

jonb said...

hi ichay! thanks for sharing the blog with me.

i honestly loved this entry. i don't suppose you intentionally meant something profound in it, but i was touched by how you described the human condition. (sorry, it's the hazards of my job!)

seriously, isn't that how it is sometimes? big responsibilities for the precious things in our lives (kids, finances, relationships, career), and yet we feel ill-equipped to deal perfectly with the tasks? so we gesture our way around, partly not knowing if we're doing the right thing and partly hoping that we're getting it right. but somehow things fall nicely into place, especially when we take the right risks.

i've said sometimes that i wish there were some instruction manual that they give us for how to live life. anyway, sorry i didn't intend a nosebleed. i was just really touched; hope you don't mind.

keep writing, ichay! i think the candid-ness in your writing is one of your strengths.

Toe said...

Kaya pala nabangga yung Titanic sa iceberg... kc si Kate Winslet ang tagahanap ng anchorage... e nakikipaglandian pa with Leo... hrhrhhr! :)

Great blog sis... pamana mo na sakin yung Mango ha... my box is leaving on Tuesday pa. ;)

Koyang Jun said...

the cheap sunglasses you usually buy is probably just as good as very expensive "polarized" sunglasses. do a bit of research first.

elpating said...

I like! Ooopps, sorry. Hindi pala ito Facebook! I'll have to think of some other comment!

elpating said...

Jon, are you stressed out??? Sorry again. My mindset is FB! Haha.

Now for the real comment. I think this is the characteristic of the waters of Palawan . . . lots of shallows. I've been on a boat (pump boat, actually . . . pronounced as pumboat . . . the one with the katig (outrigger)) island hopping in Palawan . . . not as glamorous as sailing on a yacht . . . (too many side comments!). This banca had a very shallow draft {Brit. draught: the depth of water needed to float a ship : the shallow draft enabled her to get close to shore}, i.e., about 1 foot only, as against Paraluman which has a draft of anywhere from 6ft. to 8ft, I think. Even with that shallow a draft, there had to be a person at the bow all the time to watch out for "invisible" reefs.

Gingging said...

wow... profound naman....

Hermie said...

Hi Ichay, I had fun reading your blog! You are a great writer! You give details in a fun way and it is easy to imagine the scenario. Keep writing! I have an account too so it is easy to follow your blogs. :-) (Hermie)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...