Monday, February 25, 2013

To Fly and Be Free!


14 November 2012
Maricaban Bay, Busuanga, Palawan, Philippines

On this day, I ran along the beach and hiked up Hunter’s Rock for my morning exercise. It’s a 15 minute climb up a conical hill in the bay where Paraluman and I are living in for a month. It is a short but steep hike on uneven steps in a makeshift trail. Downhill is more difficult because of the layer of dried leaves and loose soil which makes the way slippery. But it is a very rewarding climb as you have a panoramic view of Maricaban Bay, a vibrant blue body of water fringed with coral reefs surrounded on all sides by lush green velvety mountains nearby and far off bluish slopes, and you have the view of the open sea on the other side of the hill dotted by islands. If you’re lucky like I was on this day, you will see a bayawak (monitor lizard) along the way.
Hunter's Peak in the background, Paraluman in the middle
When I got to the peak, I saw an eagle- below me! It was quite startling to see one below me rather than above as I usually do. I saw it clearly with its white head, brown body and wings with white tips. And I wouldn’t say it was flying- it was soaring! It was gliding without so much as flapping its wings, effortlessly gliding through the sky over the water. Then it slowly started climbing in a big spiral until it was higher than me, up in the sky until it faded into a dot. Then it started to dive down, slowly, gracefully, like it was just playing until it was near the water again and it repeated its climb in another big circle.  

It looked so effortless yet powerful and graceful. Whether the eagle was just having another day in its big playground or putting on a free show for me, I couldn’t tell.  I could feel the eagle’s spirit in my heart. I was ready to burst with a feeling of freedom, playfulness and happiness. I felt blessed to witness this display of beauty and elegance. I could have watched it all day.

People have always asked me what my 2 tattoos are to which my standard answer is, “It’s a bird in flight.” Then the conversation moves on to the colors and design style but I have never bothered to explain why I chose these designs or what they stand for. I’ve always felt that my reason for doing so is too cheesy or dramatic so it’s always been some sort of a personal secret. To properly explain why I chose a bird in flight to be engraved in my body permanently, 2 times at that, I would have to explain what I felt as I was watching that eagle soaring, soaring, soaring in the sky.

1 comment:

Mari Anjeli said...

This is inspiring! I'd love to see an eagle in flight, soaring with such freedom, too!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...