Friday, December 3, 2010

Happy Birthday To Me

27 August 2010
Illutuk Bay- Maricaban Bay
Busuanga, Palawan, Philippines

After a day and night of non-stop pouring rain and gusty winds, we woke up to a spectacular orange sunrise which led to a shining sun and crisp blue skies. It’s my birthday today.

We sailed to Maricaban Bay and moored at the El Rio y Mar Resort. I had 4 frozen margaritas of different flavors over a sumptuous lunch of grilled prawns which I didn’t prepare and wash dishes for. It’s my birthday today and I’m taking a day off from my vacation.

Drinks and lunch at the bar at the end of the pier surrounded by water in El Rio y Mar.

My sweet husband then gave me one of my best birthday treats ever. He booked us a room in the resort, our very own casa, with Mariel in her own casa, after 10 days of sleeping in the boat. I spent the afternoon in bed with crisp white sheets and a fluffy comforter in my cool room, with a private deck, the white sand beach in front and I didn’t have to think of what to cook for dinner. I relished the fresh fluffy white bath towels, a full spa and room service. I felt like a kept woman and after a luxurious shower with unending water supply, I shaved my legs, put on a fresh dress and brushed my hair like a proper lady for dinner.

A clear view of Paraluman moored in the calm water from our room.
But I chose to celebrate my birthday by relishing moments more precious than bed linen and airconditioning. I commited to memory the things I did on this trip which I had not done in a long time or never done before. Eating ripe yellow mangoes with my bare hands with the sweet juice dripping down my mouth and elbows, peeling it first with one long unbroken skin. Dancing in the rain and sticking your tongue out to taste it. Shouting a battle cry and somersaulting into the water. Skinny-dipping. Making sand angels on the beach, unmindful of sand in my hair and butt.

These are the things that matter to me. Happy birthday to me!

Raul at the pier of El Rio y Mar Resort. Thanks for the room, hon!
26 nm from Illutuk Bay to Maricaban Bay. El Rio y Mar Resort has moorings for boats, very safe and calm. It has wonderful accommodations with the Casas being the most posh; good food (but Western choices only, no Filipino fare), very friendly and accommodating staff, with swimming pool. I loved the bar- Port Caltom’s Reef Bar, located at the end of the pier in the water.

1 comment:

Toe said...

Nice sis! I want my own casa for my birthday too!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...