Saturday, December 11, 2010

Baby Come Back

28 August 2010
Maricaban Bay- Sablayan Bay/South Pandan Island
Busuanga, Palawan, Philippines


We left Maricaban Bay at 7am for our homeward leg, home being San Teodoro, Mabini, Batangas. Mariel stayed behind to fly back to Manila from Coron. She leaves for a 10-month student exchange program in Germany in a week’s time and opted to spend some time with her friends before then. Moreover, she was “sick of being with her parents all day and all night” for 11 days.
Mariel fooling around with our dinghy, Putol.
I should be pleased that Raul and I have the boat to ourselves now. We have more space in our snail home where you can hear every burp and fart. There’s one less mouth to feed (she’s vegetarian and my husband is a carnivore so cooking is always a double effort). We no longer have to hide our illegal substances or control our sexual urges. I can now play my own music anytime. No more messy clothes and clutter everywhere.

But I’m not. It seems awfully quiet without her. I miss her silliness, constant chatter and singing, her ukulele, her sarcastic sense of humor, inimitable wit and contagious laughter, and impromptu dance numbers. All of a sudden, the fact that she will be away for 10 whole months just dawned on me. How can I allow my 16-year old bunso to be away for so long? I’m already dreading the day she leaves.

If you want to check out Mariel and be one of her 8,000+ followers, click here.


 




Mariel has an extraordinary love for animals. Here she is in the Calauit Game Preserve and Wildlife Sanctuary. The rain was a blessing in disguise. According to our highly knowledgeable and friendly guide, Rollie, it was the best time to see the animals because they are out in the open, whereas they hide in the shade when it’s hot and sunny. 

We handfed giraffes and saw zebras, Calamian deer, monkeys, crocodiles, bearcats, etc. Calauit is a “natural area where the entire environment and all the plants and animals are allowed to live in a natural state with the absolute minimum of human interference or disturbance”.

Click here to read my post on how to get to Calauit on a sailboat.

1 comment:

Lawrence Villegad said...

Loving the candidness of this post. ;)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...