Sunday, January 27, 2013

50 Shades of Gray

Subic Bay Yacht Club to San Teodoro, Mabini, Batangas, Philippines
10 October 2012

The whole world is a monotonous gray pallete around me. The sky is overcast, a somber grayish white canvas, the water a darker shade of steel of gentle swells. Even the wind feels gray, a mild 5-knot downwind breeze. The horizon is a thin line within the overlapping shades of bleeeaahh. There are no other colors in this leaden background. Even Paraluman which is white and other boats in the distance seem to disappear into the landscape.

I’m bringing Paraluman home to Pugad, San Teodoro, Mabini, Batangas after keeping it in Subic Bay Yacht Club for almost two months during the habagat (southwest monsoon) season. It is a very easy trip- 78 nautical miles downwind estimated at 14-16 hours at one straight line with only 2 important turns. In other words, it will be boring. In fact, I’m falling asleep while writing this…

And right now, we have all the ingredients for dozing off. 50… No! More! … shades of gray around us. Repetitive lazy swells and a gentle breeze behind that lull me to sleep. Nothing to see around us as the mainland is hidden by the clouds. Nothing to do either. The boat’s on auto pilot. No navigation skills required- no reefs or rocks to watch out for or islands to go around. No music as the stereo is not working. I left my phone charger so I can’t surf the net to save my phone battery. The sails are down because we don’t have enough wind and the only sound is the mind-numbing hypnotic drone of the engine and the soothing lapping of the waves on the boat. I had very little sleep last night- slept at midnight and up at 4am.  My 2 sailing companions don’t talk. I miss my husband, my regular sailing companion. I look at my watch and realize only 5 minutes have passed. I can’t keep my eyes open but I shouldn't go to sleep. I’m the captain of this boat and I have to watch over the safety of my passengers and my vessel!

The only thing we really need to do is make sure there are no boats in front of us or that we’re not in anybody’s way. But the few boats I’ve seen are too far away for concern, just another shade of gray in the distance….. zzzzzzz….

I’m bored to death. But I’m not complaining. I’ll take 50 shades of gray anytime vs strong winds, big waves and the cold. I’ll take boredom over the stress, the monotony over anxiety. Thankfully, tropical storm Nina is too far away to affect the country. More importantly, I’d rather be doing this than being stuck in traffic in the city or working in a freezing office.

In the meantime, I can’t keep my eyes open. But hey! I’m the captain! I’m the boss, right? You two! Watch over the boat while I sleep. Laters, baby.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...